How To Prepare For Civil Services Exam
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is authorized to conducts various recruitment examinations for filling up differen posts of government sector . UPSC also conducts Civil Services Exam to fill up various posts and a large number of students participate every year in this examination.
Civil Services Examination consists Prelims exam and Main Exam. Earlier, students prepared for main exam directly rather than focusing on Prelims but as per current pattern candidates need to focus on both prelims as well as mains.
Tips for the Civil Services Preliminary Exam:
The prelims exam is a multiple choice question test and each paper is of 2 hours duration. You need to do the preparation with proper strategy.
Preliminary Exam consists of two papers:
- General studies
- Optional Subject
Preparation of General Studies:
- You must collect the updated knowledge of current affairs in all fields. You may refer general knowledge books, business and political magazines, newspapers, News and Business channels on Television etc.
- You must have good control over all the topics. Candidates may also prefer internet for searching current affairs and latest issues.
Preparation of Optional Subject Paper:
Before starting the preparation, you need to select the optional subject.
- Prefer the latest syllabus for the exam, you are going to participate in. You must cover all the topics of the syllabus. Candidates must focus on a relevant topic and should avoid irrelevant topics.
- Don’t make a mistake of overloading yourself. The most reliable way to crack the exam is to solve previous year question papers.
- Each paper of prelims exam is of 2 hours so speed and accuracy is also important. Applicants should also beware of negative marking also.
Tips for the Civil Services Main Exam:
Main Exam consists of the following papers:
- One Essay type Indian Language Paper
- One English Qualifying Paper
- One General Essay type paper
- Two General Studies papers
- Four Optional subjects papers
In Essay type Indian Language Paper & General Essay type paper you will be required to write an essay on a specific topic. During preparation, study lots of essays, magazines and English newspapers.
Study essays on current and challenging topics. Remember affective points to improve your presentation.
The English Qualifying Paper does not add to your final score. The paper will consist of Short Essay, Comprehension of giving passages, Precis Writing, Usage and Vocabulary.
Study, as much as you can and try to understand the topics. Refer dictionary for difficult words. Practice a lot to get control over the English language.
After following the tips given above, getting high percentage would become as easy as pie.