How To Join Merchant Navy After 12th
If you are searching about How To Join Merchant Navy After 12th with the subjects Science/Commerce/Arts then it is really pleasant to know that you are passionate about joining merchant navy and desire to do something extraordinary for your own nation. Well answer for your question is here well asserted in this article. Here you’ll get the procedure to join, its requirement, job prospectus, career path, etc. Merchant Navy is a great career for those enthusiast aspirants who love travelling, adventure, etc as in this profession one will travel around the world and all free of cost.
How to join Navy after 12th Science/Commerce/Arts?
For joining Navy, normally you need to attend an entrance exam which is generally held in the month of May yearly. If you qualify the exam, you will be asked to appear for further selection process and that includes physical & Psychometric test, Group discussion and personal interview.
If you clear all of the above stated rounds, you will be finally offered with the chance to join Navy. There are lots of different job positions available in navy for the people from all the fields.
Joining Procedure: The following are the joining Procedure
2) Personal Interview
3) Medical Examination
If you want join in India Navy, firstly clear an entrance examination of NDA (National Defence Academy). This examination is conducted by UPSC twice in a year.
Syllabus for NDA Examination: syllabus includes:
The personal Interview is conducting by Staff Selection Board for shortlisted candidates in written examination
The Medical Examination is conducting by Staff Medical Board for shortlisted candidates in personal Interview.
There is a large job opportunities in this field for those aspirants who completed the basic course as they can get a job very easily through various consultants and placement agencies. Merchant navy consist of several activities such as, cargo, container ships, barge carrying, tankers, bulk carriers, passenger ships. The possibility of getting in cargo ships is more as compared to the other fields.
Get Job Searching Tips
Some big international companies that run merchant ships are:
- Chevron and Mobil of USA
- Wallem Ship Management of Hong Kong
- Denholm of UK
- K Line Bibby Ship Management, d’Amico etc.
India also has its shipping companies, such as;
- The Shipping Corporation Of India
- Great Eastern Shipping
- Essar And Chowgule Shipping
And mostly trained people are needed for the fulling of three main departments of the ship:
1) The Deck
2) The Engine
3) The Service Department
In India, job opportunities are available in both government and private shipping companies. The most interesting and beneficial fact is that there is no income tax return imposed on the earnings of a navy workers. Life a merchant navy member can be adventurous for all those who love to travel.
- The candidate must have qualified 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Math as the main subjects for eligible for the post of Deck Cadets.
- For the navigational and engineering field jobs, the candidates requires to have a
bachelors degree on mechanical or marine engineering.
- All appliers are required to clear the screening test and written test exam to join Merchant Navy.
Two Aspects In Merchant Navy:
1) Nautical Science And Marine Engineering
2) Navigational And Engineering Fields
Eligibility For Nautical Science And Marine Engineering:
- Requirement is 12th or an equivalent examination with PCM (must), also with commerce and Arts from central/state board.
- Must have minimum 60% marks in PCM.
- Duration of course is generally 2 years
Conditions For Navigational And Engineering Fields
- It is must to complete a Bachelors degree in Nautical Science or Marine engineering.
- And the Duration of course is 1 year.
In Merchant Navy, the salary can range from anywhere between Rs.12000 to Rs.8 lakhs per month. The pay skills differ from company, city, the export-import needs, seniority etc.
- A Junior Engineer on a ship can earn around Rs. 30,000 per month.
- A Chief Engineer at sea earns Rs. 1.5 lakhs per month or more net of taxes.
- A Third Officer’s salary is around Rs. 50,000 per month plus free boarding and lodging while on board.
- In case of seniority are Second Officer, a Chief Officer and Captain of a ship. A Captain’s pay package is Rs. 2 lakhs per month or more net of taxes.
List of top 10 Colleges in India
1) Tolani Maritime Institute (TMI)
2) Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies- Mumbai
3) International Maritime Institute (IMI) Delhi
4) Vels Academy of Maritime Studies Chennai
5) Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training (MANET) Pune
6) Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering (ITME) Kolkata
7) B.P. Marine Academy Navi Mumbai
8) TS Rahaman Mumbai
9) Indian Maritime University (IMU) Chennai
10) Coimbatore Marine College (CMC) Coimbatore
If one is getting paid to travel and see countries he/she will be considered as lucky. Being a Indian Navy, is prestigious and one will get many benefits like time to visit countries for long periods of time. So, now if you are determined to join then we advise you to join Navy.. ‘Go Ahead!’
Other links you might be interested in